Sunday, January 24, 2010

I went home for two days to make sure it was still standing - Alzheimer's Yuck!

Since I live most of the week with one of my grown daughter’s and her family (to save my sanity), I go home weekly to check on things. I want to make sure my house hasn't burned down, literally and clean up any dog or cat mess that may have been neglected, plus check to see if my husband is actually taking his meds. Also to see if he has bought something other than dog food and chocolate chips with the grocery allowance that I have given him.

I bought groceries and spent about 6 hours cooking. I made him 12 dinners with about 4 different varieties. I bought freezer containers and froze them. I made sure they were healthy. Each contained a whole grain (whole wheat pasta or brown rice), a complete protein, and a vegetable. He usually won't cook himself any food and lives on peanut butter and tuna fish sandwiches. I want him to eat more variety than that, and I don't want the grocery money spent only on dog food, chocolate chips and occasionally cereal, bread, and milk. So I bought and prepared almost everything he needed, and then gave him $10 for any extra milk or fruit he made need for the week.

My husband has agreed to call me nightly when he takes his meds, so I know that he took them. He usually forgets. If I call him, he will always tell me that he took them. But that doesn't really mean that he took them. So this past Wednesday night, I called him since I had not heard from him in a few days. I asked him if he was still mad at me and was not calling me to keep me informed about his meds on purpose. He insisted that no he was not still angry with me and assured me that he had taken his meds on Wednesday night but just forgot to call me. I asked him, "Are you sure you took them?" He insisted that he did. He stated, “I was in the kitchen talking with Melvin (our housemate) and took them in front of him." The next day, I felt I needed to go home and check on things. I have an uncanny intuitiveness about certain things. I have one daughter who insists I am psychic that is why people can't keep secrets from me. I do not declare myself psychic at all, but I am intuitive when it comes to my family. So on Thursday I went home (only about an hour away). I walked around the house to see if everything was okay. Right now (Perhaps I have mentioned this) we are renting out some of our bedrooms to 4 men who are working for a few months building a local power plant. They are good men and it helps us financially. Plus when I go home I don't have to see the bedrooms that were our granddaughters' when they lived with us. I only cry when I see their rooms. Anyway, I went around our home. In my husband's bathroom, he still had the little space heater on, which is a fire hazard if left unattended. I unplugged it. (Later, I went to the store and bought a safer type of heater for his bathroom.) I went into the living room and found some dried out dog poop that had been stepped on. Our renters do not use the living room. They all have computers and T.V.s in their bedrooms. They have their bedrooms and share 2 bathrooms, laundry room, and the large kitchen. But my husband and I use the living room, my home office, and our bedroom, and I have my own bathroom that the men do not use. This is getting lengthy I know. I am being slow at getting to my point.

When I went into the kitchen I noticed another area where the dog had pooped and peed. My husband had put paper towels to soak up the pee and forgot it. I had to scrub the floor and baseboards to get it clean. I also noticed the disgusting litter box. So I cleaned it. I then noticed that my husband had NOT taken his meds on Wednesday night. The doors had been left unlatched (not just unlocked), and all of the downstairs lights were on.

When he got home, I took him into the kitchen and showed him his weekly medication container. Only Wednesday had any meds in it. I showed him that he had NOT taken his Wednesday night's meds, like he thought. He got defensive and insisted he had taken them. I showed him the container and insisted he had not. He got frustrated with me and insisted that he must have taken Thursday's by mistake. He insisted that I could ask Melvin for he was talking with him Wednesday night when he took them. Melvin got home late and my husband had already gone to bed. I waited up for Melvin. It is not cool to have to drag my renter into something like this. But I was determined to know exactly what had happened. I told Melvin what my husband had said and asked him if that was accurate. He replied, "No, I did not see him take them last night. That was a few nights ago, but not last night." So the next day, I explained to my husband what Melvin had said. I explained to him as nicely as I could, "Your memory is accurate. You do remember taking your meds in front of Melvin. The problem is you do not remember when the memory occurred. it did not happen last night but a few days ago." He was a tiny bit defensive but very sober about it.

I have been in communication with one of his sisters who lives in the U.S. but not in the lower 48 states. So she is far away. I have confided in her about my frustration because I knew she cares about her brother and would not advise me to leave him and only take care of myself. That is usually the advice I get from my family and friends. They hate to see what I am going through and the high stress I am under. So I felt safe talking to her. But apparently my anxiety and stress makes me appear overbearing, yet she "thinks" I am sincere. I did what some might think as the unthinkable. I read my husband’s emails to and from his sister. I was quite annoyed. I am made out to be the boogey man; who is overbearing. My husband is sick of me following him around "bashing" him. His sister mentioned something about she knows that I want what is best. But then made the comment about am I wanting what is just best for me? I was shocked. What is best for me? None of this is best for me. What is best for me was having a healthy marriage and raising my grandchildren. All of that has been unkindly ripped away from me and I am heart broken. My oldest daughter has her children (I raised for 7 years) and will not let me have contact with them. So his sister's email and his email was a bit upsetting.

I calmly sat down with him and told him that I had read his and his sister's emails. I explained to him the frustration I felt. I, as nicely as I could, explained why I am tried of stressing myself out, monitoring everything, putting up with his lies, and his forgetfulness, and then I am being made out to be the Boogie man?

According to the book I am reading "The 36 hour day" everything I am experiencing is common. My frustration is normal. My husband's confusion and blaming me is part of the disease, and the lack of support from other family members is common. Boy, I am a text book example of everything it seems.

After speaking with my husband, he actually seemed to understand my position and realized that I am his advocate not his enemy. He said he would email his sister and explain things better. I said, "Please do it right now, or you will not do it." So he actually did. This is a copy of the email he wrote her. I so appreciated it.

"Marilyn, I think I am confusing the issues. I see things more clearly today, but may not tomorrow. 'Emma' may be "bashing" me when in reality she is only documenting my weirdness and then relating it to me. I have to learn, or realize (remember) that is what is going on. She is my advocate, not my enemy. She is the one that sees what I do daily and nobody else is that tuned in. She is the one that will demand all the tests because I cannot figure out that I need them. This is all very difficult for the both of us. It will not be easy. I will have to come back to this message to remind myself.

It's not her way. Her way was having a healthy marriage and raising the grandchildren and all that has been ripped away from us and she is grieving terribly. It's our way. How is all this going to turnout for all of us? Time will tell. Pray for her. Pray for me."

My husband actually printed out the email and taped in on the wall by his computer desk at home. That way he can read it daily and help remind himself that I am his advocate, not his enemy. That helped the weekend tremendously. On Friday night, we watched a Star Trek movie, had a delicious dessert, and had a fire in the fireplace. This weekend was definitely better that last week.

Emma James

3 comments:

  1. For those people who's relative are Alzheimer’s Disease sufferer and maybe reading this, I find it hard that people are still ignorant of herbal medicine when it comes to treating Alzheimer’s Disease.
    I have been through many phases over the last couple of years since my father's diagnosis, he was 53 years old and had Early Onset Alzheimer’s Disease and his diagnosis changed my life in many ways, I spend most of the time in denial and I keep thinking the tests were wrong. But deep down I knew they were correct. Though sharing his story is very difficult. He was always very successful in being able to accomplish anything he set his mind on doing. Alzheimer’s is a bitch of a disease. It began by robbing his recent memory, but it didn't stop there. It continues to steal, taking the most recent memories until it has pilfered all but the oldest memories, he experienced a decline in his ability to think, remember and make decisions. I feel a need to express my thoughts and feelings about how it affected his day to day living and how its deteriorated since despite the help of some wonderful medics and medicine.
    I remind myself how lucky to come across Charanjit rychtova's herbal medicine which is able to control this disease without any side effect, I felt a moment of relief hoping that he is free from this ailment, and nothing compares to the healing power of nature. Now I believe almost every health problem can be addressed in one natural way or another. The only thing I wanted was for him to feel better. I’m proud to say my Dad is Alzheimer’s free. You can also contact him for more info. charantova@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having Dementia disease knocked my grandma off her life and had her living like a mad person, I did know how the better part of her life eluded her, my mind was completely splatted in two, She showed a severe decline in her mental and cognitive skills in the last few years of her life and her quality of life had deteriorated greatly in the last 3 years of life where she was mostly bedridden. I am very glad my partner sought help and now she is free from all signs of psychosis. She was healed through the herbal medicines from Dr Charanjit, I do not wish to go the same route and I manage to live a fairly active and healthy lifestyle.
    Here are her words "Finally, can you imagine what it would feel like to be NORMAL again, like I were before I was struck down by this horrible condition that you never asked for, and don’t deserve?" Sounds great doesn't it?
    You can contact him via email charantova@gmail.com He is well known for his groundbreaking treatments concerning the brain and mind issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










    i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346




    ReplyDelete