Monday, April 6, 2009

The beginning of our Journey with Early Onset Alzheimer's Disease

I am creating this blog not only to help myself but in hopes of reaching others who may have a spouse suffering with early onset Alzheimer's disease. My husband is only 55 and I am 50. This is not what I had expected to be experiencing at our age. I admit I am frightened. We are only now in the process of getting the diagnosis, but we really know in our hearts that we are facing an unpleasant future. My husband's father died of early onset Alzheimer's disease when he was 57. We need the diagnosis to confirm what we already know so that my husband can retire from his long 30 year career through his company's long-term disability program rather than simply being forced to retire early. This economic crisis has crippled his retirement savings. Even with his company's long-term disability program, his income will be cut in half. Our lifestyle will undergo major changes, especially with children still at home.

I have already had to take over the family finances, communicate with his supervisor and learn what I dreaded most (that he was declining rapidly at work), and be in charge of his medical appointments, and legal issues. At least I know that I am not making things up now. Over the past few years, I thought he just didn't care about me anymore. He thought he was doing so well at work, so I believed his not remembering what we talked about was because of me. I would get upset when he promised to do things and forgot, or when he stopped listening in the middle of a conversation, or when he sounded so angry for no apparent reason.

When he finally started getting demoted at work, we had to finally face what life was really going to be like. I know that on my own I am not strong enough for everyone to lean on, but with strength from the Lord, I will become stronger. I remind myself to express love and compassion, and I must remember when my husband forgets what he promises to do or acts odd and confusing to me, that he is sick. It is NOT because he doesn't care about me or love me anymore. It is not about me. It is about what is happening to him.

2 comments:

  1. I am very thankful that you are sharing your journey in this blog. My partner is 57 and I am seeing all the things you describe. "He thought he was doing so well at work, so I believed his not remembering what we talked about was because of me. I would get upset when he promised to do things and forgot, or when he stopped listening in the middle of a conversation, or when he sounded so angry for no apparent reason." I totally relate and have felt all those same things you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










    i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346




    ReplyDelete